Monday 20 October 2008

The BIG WALK for Princess Margaret Hospital...how did we go?

John Hughes BIG WALK: helping to raise money for the PMH Foundation


On Sunday 19th October, Idibidi Kids (Ethan and myself) participated in the John Hughes BIG WALK, to raise money for the Princess Margaret Hospital (PMH) Foundation. It was a lovely day to be outdoors enjoying the sunshine! How did we go? Well, the start for the 10km was at 930am. I cant estimate how many people were there (lots!), old and young, individuals and groups.... Fitness First was on the stage giving us the pre-walk warm up, so we did that for about 10 minutes then we set off..... Ethan was trying to set a cracking pace, but with the numbers of people there all walking in the same direction (and the fact that we were all competing for room to walk) meant running was a little difficult in the beginning. Ethan was not happy! He can be a little stubborn at times; trying to run ahead, only to stop 2 minutes further down for me, waiting for me to catch up, with "that look"... the "mum, im not happy!" look. So we jogged, then walked, then jogged..... every time we saw a clearing we jogged a little more. I pointed to the Narrows Bridge, telling Ethan, "see the bridge, thats where we're jogging to" with excitement in my voice, encouraging him on. He seemed to take it in his stride (the distance); I thought for a kid his age (8 nearly 9) I was, and still am, very proud of his achievement. I cant say that at his age I ever jogged/walked 10km! We made it to the Narrows in about 1 hour. As we were walking across it, Ethan and I were looking at how far we'd come, in fact, we couldnt even see the starting line. By this stage he was pretty impressed, and had calmed down from the start. As we were making our way around the river, I heard a few people make comments about our shirts, especially how cute the name "Idibidi Kids" is. We had about 3 kms to go, and by this stage Ethan's legs had had enough. He had the energy to run but his legs were aching as they weren't used to walking/running the distance that they had done today! This made him frustrated, especially when I kept on saying, "come on Ethan, lets run!". So we walked the last few km's, albeit slowly but surely we crossed the finish line, having completed the 10km walk in just under 2 hours. Ethan was happy, but relieved, it was over! BUT we hadn't finished ..... as we were walking in to the finish line, they had a vintage car display on the grassed area next to the BIG WALK set up. The enthusiastic vintage car person that I am, there was no way I was going to pass this one up! So Ethan sat under a tree while I wondered on around looking at all the vintage cars (a display from the "Model A Restorers Club of Western Australia"); predominantly most of the cars were from 1928 to 1931. I managed to get Ethan to sit in the drivers seat of one of the cars, so I had to take a photo! (thank you to the lovely gentleman who was happy for Ethan to sit in his car). So to end the day, certificates in hand, we walked back to my car for the drive home.... and yes, we will be back next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on the Idibidi Kids BLOG :)

Books Ive Read...

  • Frederick Leboyer: Loving Hands, The Traditional Art of Baby Massage
  • Kerstin Uvnas Moberg: The Oxytocin Factor
  • Tiffany Field: Touch
  • Vimala McClure: Infant Massage, A Handbook for Loving Parents